Sunday 19 February 2012

You write me love letters in font size 16 because you know I have the worst eyesight known to man

Cut my hair and let me play Solitaire
let me line out my Lanzerote playing cards on your Ikea bedspread
watch me win, watch me lose
clear up my hair clippings and keep them in a box
or throw them out or feed them to the dog.

Let us lie here in my parents’ bed on a Tuesday afternoon
and order Dominoes
Oh! Let’s play dominos
let me line them out on my parents’ bedspread
watch them fall.

Let us fall
onto the icy grass
like green stalagmites
behind my house
Christmas Eve 2002
and let me tell you
that I love you
that I’m excited about all the different things your face can do
that I dreamt about your mother.

Shave my legs in a white tiled bathroom
and look at them in the Cypriot sun
look at my legs shine, look at my skin shine, look at my hair shine
in the Cypriot sun
let me eat biscuits in your bed
and lets not worry about the crumbs.

Let me shave your head
in your kitchen one night
watch the shavings drop onto the clementines
lit by the fluorescent light.

write your number on my left hand
in blue biro and in the morning
you will be there, just digits now
bright and blue and truer than my veins underneath.

Cut my hair and tell me that I’m beautiful
and remind me why every boy I meet will fall
Down at my feet,
Protesting, on his knees,
On country roads or city streets,
That he loves me the most
That he will build towers of affection for me,
Tear his heart out and construct a ladder of love for me,
Climbs rungs of arteries, blood and veins just to shout from the top
That Yes! He does love me the most!

No comments:

Post a Comment